Sunday, June 20, 2010

Just Too Nice

Question for today:

I wonder why it is that when women mistakenly ask if I'm pregnant, I feel it necessary to respond soooo sweetly, so they don't feel bad for their mistake. In reality, it is they who should apologize (profusely) for making such a gaffe. After all, my rule is that unless a woman has initiated a conversation about her pregnancy, or unless you can see a baby emerging from her hoo-ha, you don't ever (EVER) suggest she might be pregnant.

Since the boy was born (21 months ago...ouch), I can count at least five times that five different women have asked about my (nonexistent) pregnancy. Therefore, I have decided that I would much rather have all my fat residing in my ass than my pooch.

Insert huffy sigh HERE.

Off to do crunches and NOT eat cookies. {Removes tongue from cheek.}


6 comments:

JesiMari said...

I got asked that seven times while bartending, and it took all I had not to throw a bottle at said customer each time. Sometimes it was old people, so for some reason I felt that deserved a pass, but once it was a guy my age...and let's just say he won't ever make that mistake again!

You're beautiful, by the way, no matter what. :)

Jess

Kage said...

Oh dear.

My fave is when someone came up to me and said: are you pregnant?
no
Cause, I Am.

well, that's NOT the way to tell someone.

If I ever think someone is, I like to say: what's NEW?

or if it's pretty obvious...did you have a big lunch or do you need to poop? But obviously that just with someone who gets me....

embrace the pooch!

Auntie G said...

"Why do you ask?" Pointed look. THAT should make people realize what a rude question it is. Actually, that's the proper response to ANY inappropriate question. *hug*

Maureen said...

I was just going to post the "Why do you ask?" response, but it looks like Auntie G beat me to it. Smart lady that Auntie G. :) A friend of mine was continually bothered by relatives asking her WHEN she was going to get pregnant. We decided she should give it a try and it worked beautifully. They realized when they had no good reason that it was not an appropriate question.

GAM said...

mmmm, i would never be nice about such a question...i'd be more like "nope, not pregnant, aren't you sorry you asked, dumbass?"

Jess said...

Oooh! I like GAM's.

I was mortified when my daughter asked a friend of mine if she had a baby in her tummy. (My friend is about twice the size of me.)
"No, I'm just fat," my friend laughed. (She's a really good sport.)
"No. I can see the baby poking out." Ellie insisted.
And then I died of embarrassment as I dragged Ellie away (who kept talking! "See? See? Right there.")

Just.Stop.Talking.