Monday, October 20, 2008

I Heart Fall.



Inspired by this post (written by my mom), I have a version of my own:

I love fall because...

1. The smell of fallen leaves. It's musty, slightly rotten, and I love it. Bonus points if they're really dry and crunchy.
2.Pumpkins. I love the seeds (after you cook 'em), the smell of the guts, and one day I'll make pumpkin stew. The only part I don't actually like is the carving. Never been very good at that. It always ends up looking like the same face.
3. Macintosh apples. Yum!
4. Hoodies like this one I got from J. Crew. They're the cosiest clothing on earth.
5. Warm and snuggly baby clothes. Like this hat I bought for Munchkin at Baby Gap.
6. Those evergreen bushes that get the little red berries on them. Reminds me of playing outdoors as a kid. We'd mash them up to make "berry stew"...and fake blood.
7. Football. Okay, I don't really love football itself. But the idea of football is great. People bundled up and cheering together....well, it's a nice thought, anyway.
8. Soup. I always miss cooking soup over the summer.
9. Apple cider. Preferably cold with a doughnut, or hot in the evening.
10. Halloween. Granted, I'm waaaay not into the ghouls and witches aspect, but I love the pumpkins and trick-or-treating.
11. Thanksgiving. Truly my favorite holiday of the year. Of course, I've never hosted it before, never been responsible for the food, rarely have to lift too many fingers to enjoy it. But I think the wind is a-changin'....stay tuned.
12. Fall colors. Enjoy.

(The Little Tree That Could)




1 comment:

sjh said...

I hate to rain on your crunchy leaves (which is a nasty mess in FALL), but this is spoken like a true condo owner, who does not have to rake those suckers, only to have her kids decide to bring leaves over from the neighbors' yard (because we don't have enough to build a leaf fort, mommy), and then have to rake them again when the game is over. And then...it rains. You might love those leaves less in a year or so. Stay tuned yourself.
I'm with you on the pumpkin seeds, cider, and oh those cinnamon donuts at the cider mill. Football? I like the tailgate parties myself.
What I love though, most, are long walks in the October dark.
Just cool enough for jackets, but warm enough to smell the FALL.
Let's talk one of those walks this weekend, girl.
mum