Friday, March 19, 2010

The Peace Piece

Hey, readers, remember this quote, circa January 25:
"Too busy scouring the web for an entryway piece (with hooks for coats and drawers or something for shoes) with DOORS. Let it be a challenge to you."

Well, I am here to tell you that you FAILED and I WON. I WON WON WON--for now (keep reading). I found a piece from IKEA with a shelf, full-length doors, a hanging bar for coats, and enough space for shoes. If you took the house tour a few days ago, you may recall the hideous collection of coat tree/shoes in the Piano Room. This one piece not only replaces that mess, but also hides the ugly cable boxes.

The catch? The piece is white. No can do in that room. So...I spent almost two weeks sanding, painting, repainting, repainting, assembling (thank goodness for Brad), touching up, reassembling, touching up...and here it is:

Before:

After:
Border detail:
Interior:

The "for now" part, however, might be indicative of just how long this $#%& piece is actually going to last in my house, since all it takes to scratch the paint is a sideways glance. But for now...I love it.

Now, to replace those boring knobs. Anthropologie, here I come!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally impressed!!
Marah

ahope said...

You did a great job on this btw. Did you find knobs @ Anthro? Sometimes it's hit or miss. CB2 might have neat little things like that too.
Can't wait to see the finished product!