Monday, October 4, 2010

The First in a Long Line

Don't like reading about pee and poop? Skip this post. :o)

During The Boy's aforementioned two year checkup, we discussed potty training a little. My current philosophy is (was) that I'd really rather wait until The Boy is closer to 3 than 2, so he'll have better clothing removal skills, balancing atop the toilet skills, etc. But he's shown a TINY bit of interest lately, including wanting to "go pee on the potty" before he takes a bath.

(I can't believe I'm seriously posting about peeing and pooping. Sigh. And YOU'RE READING IT.)

So, upon the recommendation of our pediatrician, we went shopping for a little potty. (Explain to me why the simplest, sturdiest potty at Target also happens to be one of the most expensive? Explain to me why I would ever want a potty to cheer for my child? You pee and poop in it. Disturbing.) He chose the blue one, and it is now the only intentionally gender specific item in my house. Then again, I suppose I did buy the pink cash register, so he's just getting back at me. He also selected a blue water bottle on the same day. Y'all have brainwashed my kid.

I digress.

The first thing he wanted to do at home, naturally, was sit on his potty--which he did. "Do you want to pee in there?" I asked. "Okay." Off with the diaper, onto the potty...and he peed. First try. Tonight before bed I asked if he wanted to pee before putting his nighttime diaper on. "Okay." Off with the diaper, onto the potty...and he peed. And pooped (by accident, I'm pretty sure). And we dumped it in the big potty and flushed--just exactly what they tell you not to do. And he cheered.

So, people, I'm not sure what all the drama is that we're supposed to have. Not that we're "training," mind you. I have no intention of letting go of the diapers for some time, but I guess I was expecting a bigger deal over it. Also, I now have no idea what the next step is. Do we just keep trying to pee/poo more often during the day? Wait for him to ask?

Bring it, moms. Extra points if you have a boy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is what happened with Payton on round 1 of training. After a couple days she got bored w/ it and the accidents began...all day long! That's when I decided to go back to diapers and wait a bit. 2 months later she showed interest again and after 2 weeks she was accident free (2 yrs 4 months).

The boy--(my boy)--Jackson---was a whole other story that you don't want to hear!

So...I would say your boy will be relatively easy. Way to go, boy!!

Marah

Jess said...

Yay to your boy!!!

We already had a potty around from my daughter and he used to "pretend" to sit on it, cheer for himself, then move on. Little did I know, that he was actually peeing...just with his clothes on. Now he tells me "I go potty now" so I can help him take his pants off.

I'd go with asking him at logical times (just wake up, bath, after drinking a lot, before bed), but don't get too stressed about it.

Eirian said...

I have had a relatively easy time potty training both my boys. #2 was easy peasy. He was just ready and I wanted nothing to do with it at first because really, diapers are easier. But in the end I could not deny that he was ready.

I kept him in his diaper most of the day but went on the potty before meals and naps and bedtime. I always followed up with lots of praise and talking aobut being a big boy like his brother. He was never going in his diaper, not even overnight. He was done with diapers at 2 years 3 months and will have an occasssional half accident every once and a while still, but really is completely potty trained. I didn't put a lot of expectations on him and it seemed to work out well.
I do miss diapers though, because when they have to go, they have to go!

Maureen said...

Why are you not supposed to put it in the toilet and flush? Just curious... haha.

HHRose said...

Oh, allegedly, some kids have trouble "letting it go"--literally.

ahope said...

kids are gross.

Maureen said...

That is so funny! Well now you know he will not have attachment issues. :)