Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Halloween 2010



It's November? Seriously? October was jam-packed, as usual, but not with Halloween, per se. We were invited to our annual family Halloween party, and had every intention of attending (especially since I figured out what to do for our costumes in AUGUST) but there was a snafu at "Annie" that day/night/next day, which resulted in me doing a Milli Vanilli off-stage while another actress lip-synched ON stage. Totally the weirdest theatrical stunt I've ever pulled off, but we actually did manage to fool a few people.

ANYWAY....I was also unexpectedly visiting Arizona (see previous post) last week, so I also missed out on the pumpkin carving and other possible opportunities to dress up. Fortunately, Brad and I are JUST confident enough in our dress up skills that we decided to Trick or Treat as a family, in full costume. What we learned from just about every single neighbor we've met since moving here is that few bother Trick or Treating anywhere else but Barberry Street. Now, there is a house on Barberry Street that has been in full-blown Halloween decor mode since October 1, but we really had no idea what to expect from the rest of the street. Let me tell you--it was like a giant block party...and I mean GIANT. Hundreds of kids and adults trolling the street for treats; dozens of parked cars that carried Treaters from other neighborhoods (and suburbs, if you can believe that); families who set up card tables and chairs and greet the Treaters at the foot of the driveway. Some were tailgating, handing out water bottles (rumor has it if you approach certain houses with an "empty," you will be handed a "refill"), handing out goody bags, coupons to restaurants, party favors, and just regular old ordinary candy, too. It was amazing.

And it turns out that we weren't the only adults in costume! We stumbled upon a charming Mary Poppins and Mini Mary Poppins, and plenty of folks with face makeup and the requisite ears (see my two previous costumes in '08 and '09). Side note: I'm so glad to be granted a reprieve on the Halloween (W)Hore costumes, now that I'm a parent--but not to worry: that particular fashion trend is still running rampant in the 12 and up group. Seriously.

The Boy did pretty well for his first REAL opportunity to TorT. He actually mastered saying, "Trick or Treat," followed by a "Thank you," but he also melted down 'round about house number three. A blue lollipop did the trick until we reached the house that was giving away mini pretzel bags, whereupon he decided he was STARVING and no amount of coaxing to persuade him out of the crabbies. So we headed home. Made it about an hour or so--not bad for Age Two. Moral of that story: Snack the kid before you go out. Duh.

The whole "people wearing costumes" thing was a bit of a stumper for the little tyke. At one point, a boy in a TERRIFYING gorilla mask approached, took off his mask, and The Boy exclaimed, "Mom! That's just a guy!" Mind. Blown.

Needless to say, we had about three groups of Treaters at our house, one of which I caught trying to steal ALL the candy out of the bucket on our porch when we returned (yep, I'm THAT mom).

Our evening ended with The Boy running around the house in the white sweatshirt and pants I had purchased to wear under his costume, complaining that he "had poop." I then proceeded to change the. biggest. diaper. blowout. ever. Did I mention he was wearing white? And the cover on the changing table is...white? And the pad that goes on top of it is...white? I apologize to the environment for using bleach. Well, it was a two man job, as it turned out. My life is so glamorous.

I wish we had gotten more use out of our pretty awesome costumes (Brad's vest had a pull-string in the back, for heaven's sake!), but we've added handsomely to the costume bin this year.

More photos: http://gallery.me.com/hannahrae#100568
Also, It thought this was cool, so I'm adding it here for my own future reference: It's a Pumpkin Beer (or whatever else) Cooler! Genius!

1 comment:

ahope said...

Cute story, well mostly.
I LOVE that beer cooler...Tara's page, right??
Glad you got to come back early enough to enjoy. XO