Thursday, June 4, 2009

Hear That? It's the Sound of Me Gasping for Air!

A brief synopsis:

My husband left for Australia on Saturday, and will be gone for two weeks. Sunday the Munch and I went to a street fair with Auntie A (or have we officially re-named you "Auntie Boo"--so cute!) and Uncle A. Monday, I worked out at the YMCA and M spent an hour at their daycare, followed by a trip to the grocery store to shop for the new experimental diet (more on that later). Granny came that night to babysit while I went to rehearsal for "South Pacific."

Tuesday, I had a dentist appt. in the morning, so M played at Huey's house (with his grandparents). I decided on this day that one of the perks of one's husband being out of town for a while is that there is no reason WHATSOEVER to keep the house clean (foreshadowing). So I did the dishes at the end of the day, but that was about it. Messy master bedroom, messy nursery, messy office, dog toys everywhere, etc. In addition to all our daily duties, we have also tried to be home and available at certain times so we can talk to Daddy via Skype--the best thing ever.

Wednesday we went back to the Y, played with finger foods for a good portion of the day, noticed Oliver's scratching, blew it off because he had a groomer appt. today anyway, cooked dinner for myself at 7:30PM, etc. etc. Which brings us to today:

Forgot to set the alarm this morning (yes, so I could intentionally wake up earlier than my baby....because I'm crazy, evidently), so we were running very LATE for our crammed day that would end up starring our dear Oliver, with a side of a complete lack of urgency. (Picture baby with bottle and PJs in stroller, dog on leash, and master muttering, "JUST GO POTTY!!!" repeatedly. Not my best moment.) Fed the dog and the baby breakfast in a blur, hopped in the car to visit the groomer (also our vet), waited an extraordinarily long time to get checked in, drove home, plopped the baby in the crib for a whirlwind 25 minute nap, plopped him in the car again, went to music class. In the meantime, the vet called to say that there is an additional problem with Oliver's health (an on-going, allergy-related issue), and he wants to do more testing (read: EXPENSIVE) and possibly start giving him allergy shots (read: VERY EXPENSIVE). Great.

Additionally, the realtor contacted us to say that we FINALLY have a showing! tomorrow! yay!...except remember what happened on Tuesday? "No reason WHATSOEVER to keep the house clean." Riiiiight. No problem, I'll just throw everything in the toy chest/dresser drawer/behind the couch (ahem) and vacuum the carpets really quickly. Except the vacuum is broken and I can't figure out how to get the NEW BELT ON DARN IT.

...Which is what I was trying to do when I got frustrated and started writing this post.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have some time later to blog about things that are actually interesting...as soon as I retrieve Oliver from the vet, Skype, cook dinner, leave M with another sitter, and attend a three hour rehearsal. Riiiight.


(Edited: I figured out the stupid vacuum. Turns out, reading the manual is pretty helpful for fixing things.)

1 comment:

sjh said...

I suppose it's a little like the horse already out of the barn to say 'Mimi is on her way on Sunday,' which will dawn with no urgency whatsoever, in keeping with the ironies of life.

Hannah, you are a wonderful writer. Does your cheek ever tire of your tongue?