Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Clever Monkey

Yesterday the Munch and I were hanging out in the house doing boring stuff: laundry, tidying, taking out the trash, etc. I walked to the patio door (which functions as our back door, and, therefore, has a deadbolt lock on it) to dump the trash bags in the cans, simultaneously thinking, "you know, one of these days we need to hide a spare key somewhere, just in case the little man figures out how to twist that silly lock, hahaha..." Naturally, I turned around from the trash cans, headed back to the door, turned the knob, and--well, you figured this out already, didn't you. LOCKED. OUT. Of the house. With a TODDLER on the other side. FIVE MINUTES BEFORE PRECIOUS NAP TIME. Kill me.

I spent about seven minutes trying to teach him how to turn the knob ("Mommy, what's a knob?") before I figured out that my time would be better spent trying to break into my own house, to no avail. I ran (REALLY QUICKLY) around to the front, hoping against hope that someone had forgotten to lock the front door. No dice. I inspected every screen on my way back around to the ill-fated patio door, tried the knob again, and found it unlocked.

Clever monkey.

2 comments:

sjh said...

My heart just started beating very rapidly reading that posting. Thank God for well-developed small motor skills. And naptimes.

And my word verification is 'duetagma' which should be a real word because it's cool.

ahope said...

This cracks me up. My guess is that you didn't find it so funny...at the time. :)
Love that boy!