Saturday, August 28, 2010

"My Staycation"

Dear Munchkin,

While you were away, Mommy was busy, too. On Tuesday, I drove back to our house with Avery and then we took a long walk. My dear friend (and ex-roommate) met me in our town for lunch, introduced me to the local discount wine shop, and then we enjoyed several hours drinking coffee in the rocking chairs on the front porch. That night, I picked up some Maggiano's for our friends, I and D, who have a new baby, and your dad and I got to meet your newest little buddy: we'll call him Mr. Green.

On Wednesday, I hung out with Avery in the morning while The Guys installed the new shed in the backyard. I also had a meeting with a very unhelpful Backyard Lady, which was a waste of time--and you know how much I HATE wasting time. I spent a good portion of Wednesday morning fretting over how much I needed to get done and being worried that I wouldn't be able to cram it all in before you got back...so I decided to forget it all and went to a movie instead. By myself. With popcorn. It was awesome.

On Thursday, I ran a tonnnnnnnnn of errands all morning, logged some time on my traffic safety course, and drank a lot of coffee. Then I met a new dentist, had my teeth cleaned (no comments about the coffee, please), shopped for new jeans, and met a teacher friend for yummy dinner at California Pizza Kitchen.

On Friday, I woke up and went to the basement to start some laundry. I noticed a huge puddle in the laundry room. I noticed a huge (HUGE) wet spot on the basement carpet. I noticed a huge (HUUUUUGE) puddle in the furnace room. I noticed that the water heater was leaking. [Sigh.] I called the repair guys and went to "get my hair did." When I returned, the Water Heater Guy replaced said water heater, I spent many minutes on the phone with the insurance company and your dad, I tried to keep Avery out of everybody's way, I kept my cool when the Water Heater Guys took a chunk out of our banister....and didn't get anything else accomplished on my list for that day. Oh well. Later in the afternoon, I took a Metra train to the city to meet your dad and our friends for sushi and "Shrek, the Musical."

All in all....what a packed week filled with fun stuff. I missed you, though, and I'm glad you're home. Even if that home stinks of a citrusy carpet cleaner.

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

sjh said...

so so proud of you for the solo movie/popcorn thing. Think it's a sign of 'being comfortable in your own skin."