Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A True Staycation

For the next three days...


I will not worry about death by Matchbox car or Star Wars guy.

I will not microwave chicken nuggets with ranch dressing.

I will not haul eleventy billion toys up and down the stairs.

I will not hear the voice of Elmo.

I will not pack up a snack before leaving the house.

I will not carry a diaper bag.

I will not read "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Ican'tbelievewe'rereadingthisagain, Very Bad Day."

I will not be interrupted while on the phone.

I will not wash a sippy cup.

I will not hire a babysitter.

I will not clean up sixteen baseballs, three basketballs and two footballs from the yard.

I will not witness a tantrum--at least, not from the toddler.


Then again...

I won't get sweet toddler hugs and kisses, or snuggle during pre-naptime songs, or be asked, "Mommy, what are you doing here?" (He means, "What are you doing?") or be commanded, "Mommy, turn around!" (He means, "Pay attention to me!)

But that's okay. For three days. (Thanks, Mom.)

2 comments:

GAM said...

i love your writing...love it.

sjh said...

Meanwhile, I am smothered in cars and trains and boats and planes and blocks and balls and little people. We are not doing Elmo voices, because secretly (I hate Elmo) shhh...

And I am loving it. And taking every single one of those snuggles and kisses and story times while I can get them.

Thanks for sharing.

Ditto GAM...