Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Memories

Okay, I'll admit it: I stole this post idea from a friend.

But my head is filled with Christmas memories of the past, and I just want to get them down on paper--well, you know what I mean.

1. Photo of Santa
My mom and a friend took a photo that appears to be Santa's bag of goodies disappearing behind the Christmas tree. It was COMPLETELY convincing.

(SPOILER ALERT BELOW!!!! DON'T LET YOUR KIDS READ IT.)
2. Is Santa Real?
Mom used to have a coffee table whose top extended past the legs on both ends. I asked her if Santa were to sit on the end of the table, would he break it. She responded with, "That depends. Do you think Santa is a real person?" Huh.

3. Bikes
One year, my sister and I came downstairs to discover a HUGE pile of gifts. I was exclaiming "Oh my gosh!!!" over and over, and so was she, but she was excited about the pile. It took her several moments to realize that there were two brand new bikes in the middle of the living room.

4. Waiting
A family tradition is always to wait at the top of the stairs on Christmas morning until Mom and Papa turned on the tree lights and did some last minute gift rearranging. Then, all the kids came down at the same time. We still adhere to this tradition, sort of, only now it's more important that we don't start until the coffee is made. ;o)

5. "Rad Dad"
Ah yes. The year of the Rad Dad. Even though my parents were no longer married, Mom used to invite Dad to come to the house on Christmas Day to exchange gifts with us kids. One year, he brought a big box full of...well, just cool stuff. A giant bubble wand, a test tube kit, magic tricks--mostly things you find in those really neat science stores. It was great fun.

6. "It's a Cardigan"
There is an infamous moment of Papa opening this gift, and in his sleepy state, it came out sounding a little tipsy. I'm pretty sure we have it on video somewhere.

7. Theatre
One year, we went to Oklahoma to celebrate with Aunt Nancy and Uncle Joe. My parents gave me my first professional theatre tickets, to "Les Mis." And so it began.

I'm sure there are dozens more, but this is what springs to the immediate mind. Can't wait to add a few more memories this year!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our family rules!