Monday, December 22, 2008

Hanukkah 2008


One of the things I love about December is that I get to celebrate two holidays.

Having taught music for seven years, and prepared holiday programs for seven years, and as the education world became increasingly "tolerant" (read: "politically correct"), I needed to do my research on Hanukkah. I learned about the Maccabees, menorah-lighting procedures (actually, it's called a Hanukkiah--a menorah is something different), latke recipes, dreidel games, the "O Chanukah" song, dancing the hora, etc. But all of that research is pretty dry unless one actually celebrates the holiday with family and friends. Fortunately for me, I am now part of a family that does!

For Munchkin's first Hanukkah celebration, we had two different dinners: one with Grand-Dede and Granny (Harvey and Joyce), and one with Grandma and Grandad (Esther and Rick).

We had a wonderful time on both evenings, and enjoyed keeping true to two slightly different sets of traditions. Highlights from Hanukkah Part I include the following:
- watching Grand-Dede grate potatoes until his arms were going to fall off
- visiting with friends Doug and Laura
- listening to the story of Hanukkah
- Bradley re-living his childhood memories of his dad singing the Hanukkah song and then running around the room with Bradley in his arms (a tradition that Bradley passed on to Munchkin this evening!)
- fun gift exchange including Wii gadgets, fancy headphones and musical toys for us; cameras, gift cards and electric salt and pepper shakers for them

Highlights from Hanukkah Part II:
- yummy brisket and Hannah grating potatoes until her triceps were sore (and still are)
- lighting the candles
- admiring Grandma's card collection
- surprising Esther and Rick with a new TV (see pics)
- opening LOTS of musical gifts for The Munch and a season of theatre tickets for Bradley and Hannah
- watching Melanie, the cat, play in the TV box

Most importantly, both of our Hanukkah celebrations were spent enjoying each other, our family. The love and warmth that surrounded us will keep us for another year.

http://gallery.me.com/hannahrae#100215


3 comments:

Scott Rose said...

Sounds so much fun!! I wish I was there!

Anonymous said...

Your camera is AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

I missed those delicious latke's this year...and of course, Hanukkah Harry. Love that guy.