Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Dogma: The Beach


Sometimes, my parents can be really cool.

For example, today they took me to this great dog-only beach in Chicago. The nice people that run this city have really worked hard to create a clean, safe area for us pooches to run around and swim off leash. Of course, for me, it's the swimming part that I like best. The "people-who-pay-attention-to-me" part is my second favorite...and the "other dogs" part comes in last place. In fact, I seem to have developed a few ISSUES (my parents' word--not mine) in this department. Any dog who is larger than me is a little threatening, whether they mean to be or not, and I find that the best way to combat these encounters is to bare my teeth and get a little cranky. That being said, you can tell by the picture below that the dog beach is filled to the brim with such large dogs. 

To be fair, most of the dogs here leave me alone to play with my parents, who are tons of fun--especially my Dad. We spent most of the morning in the water together, while Mom kept the electronics from getting splashed. Dad's favorite game to play is walking out into the water (naturally, I follow him wherever he goes--like at home) until it's just over my head, and then running back to shore as fast as he can. He thinks it's really funny to watch me dog-paddle like crazy until I can hippity-hop back to the water's edge. I am far less amused by this game than he, but since it doesn't take much to please these silly humans, I guess it's just easier to comply.

I did run across one ferocious canine with whom I would have been willing to play, but he's awfully little for the water. In fact, I later saw him shaking and cowering under a blanket with his parents. Baby.


All in all, it was a terrifically fun morning! My Super Dog Senses tell me that things are going to be changing in my house quite soon, so I'm not sure if I'll get to visit the beach again this year. That's okay, though...I've tracked enough sand into the car to last through the winter.

Click here for more pics!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is too cute!
I am so glad you posted b/c I did not want to have to send an email to see if you had gone into labor yet. I know you're probably getting sick of telling people that nothing is happening. Don't worry...'nothing' can't go on forever.
-Marah

Anonymous said...

PS- I've gotta start reading your posts on the actual blog...instead of just the notifications that I get through email...b/c I end up missing things....like the video. I thought it was just a pic. You look ADORABLE! Can't even tell you're preggers from the back. That belly looks pretty darn hard. Contracting much? :) Marah

Kage said...

Oh momma.....that baby needs to come! Dog only beach! So cool, my daughters would LOVE IT

HHRose said...

Marah: lots of contracting, and stopping, and starting, and stopping. You get the idea.

Kage: Beach IS very cool. Your kids would have a blast...look out for stepping in dog poo, though. Mostly, the owners are really good about picking it up, but DH got a little tootsie surprise!