Thursday, September 18, 2008

Multitasking

In our society these days, multitasking has become a bit of an art form.

I can really get behind several examples of multitasking. Case in point: I have become rather adept at texting/emailing, via my cell phone, while nursing. (Of course, a friend recently reminded me of the research suggesting cell phones = cancer. Darn.)

There are, however, some examples of multitasking that should really be avoided. Here is a photo reminiscent of the scene going on behind me while I was driving yesterday.



Again, this is not the actual person who was driving behind me. In fact, mine had soft serve ice cream, which at least eliminated the spoon issue. But she also had another passenger in the front seat who was talking on HER phone while smoking a cigarette.

Perhaps I'm being an oversensitive, overprotective new parent, but I do not want this person driving behind me in a vehicle. Even worse? In my previous life (read: before giving birth), I may have been accused of being one of these Dangerous Multitaskers. I have been known to eat and drive with my knees...bad.

I recall another good friend saying to me, "Just wait until you're a parent. You'll slow down." She was talking specifically about driving a car, but I believe her prediction has come true in full force--and not just on the road, though it's completely true that I can no longer drive as I once did. It is also true that my entire life has "slowed down."

And in a world that shames you if you can't email, talk on the phone, and instant message all at the same time, I'm happy to be slow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely relate to this, as up in the suburbs, people will run you over before letting you cross the street. It's especially bad trying to pull out of my complex when people who are too busy chatting on their cell phones/putting on makeup/eating don't notice you pulling out. Ack!

I love the baby pictures and stories, he's so handsome! How's Oliver dealing with the big change?

sjh said...

My favorite maxi-tasker was a woman who was putting in rollers, cell phone propped at the ear, cigarette stuck to lower lip, phone headset intact, mouth running...while the radio blasted the most offensive drumbeat known to man. Truth.

I moved two lanes over and hit the brakes, frightened for my life. Go ahead and slow down, girls. If you use it all up, you won't make it to the end of the race. Life is a marathon.

Anonymous said...

I love this post. :)