Tuesday, February 24, 2009

YMCA!

I said to my sister the other day, "evidently, the baby weight isn't simply going to melt with the snow."

So, in an effort to combat this problem, I have joined our local YMCA. And when I say "local," I mean REALLY local--it's 5 minutes door to door. Hurray! They have a fun-looking childcare room with one of those indoor maze things like they have at McDonalds. Hopefully, we will no longer be living in this neighborhood when Munchkin is old enough to use it, but it's nice to know it's there. I took him with me today for his first "'Mazing Kids" experience, which he seemed to enjoy. Of course, I can only infer that from the grin on his face when I came back into the Maze and the fact that they didn't call me to rescue him.

Things I can tell about the Y experience so far:
1. I am sore. (I should mention that this is my first gym membership in almost four years. The occasional show is great for keeping in shape/eating less because you're always at rehearsal.)
2. The lady at the childcare place looked panicked with I went to take the kiddo out of the carseat. "Don't you want to leave him in there for a while?" Uh, no. That's where the "childCARE" portion comes in.
3. She was fine, after all.
4. There are a lot of senior citizens that work out at the Y during the day. Those old guys can lift a LOT of weight on the circuit machines. Good for them!
5. The girl and guy at the front desk should be fired for incompetence. It took them 30 minutes to process my application (after putting my first name down as "Rose" they had to start over). They told me there was no additional paperwork for childcare. There was. They told me the caregivers would administer a bottle if necessary. They don't. They told me that you don't have to pay a joiners fee if you cancel your membership and rejoin. That is wrong. They told me I could pay with American Express. I can't.
6. After only two workouts, I feel healthier. Not sure how that's possible.
7. People at the Y are meticulous about cleaning the machines. In the circuit training room, they walk around with Purell wipes (provided) and clean every part of the machine they touch every time. This is a lovely change from Bally.
8. There is nothing on TV at noon.
9. They have free parking!
10. I am sore.

:o)

1 comment:

sjh said...

I am sore just listening. I think I'll sit this session out. Wish I could be the child CARE.
the grandmum