Monday, July 27, 2009

Face 2 Face



On to happier posts...

The hubby and I celebrated our 4 year anniversary (two days early) at the Billy Joel/Elton John concert at Wrigley Field last week. They played a set together at the beginning and the end, which was super cool. Brad and I kept trying to recall who had written each song, but it turns out that their music sounds alarmingly alike! BUT...

The music was great, as expected (and loooong.....3.5 hrs!), and I was blown away by Elton's piano improvisation. WOW can that guy play. Unfortunately, he's lost his upper vocal range, so I missed the crazy high notes in "hold me closer, tiny daaaancer," and in "he shall be Levon." I saw Billy Joel in concert 10 years ago, so I was prepared for his banter with the audience and stellar performances. A new gimmick, however, was the giant fly swatter he brought along to whack away the bugs through the entire performance. It sort of detracted from the sobriety (a word Joel should Google, by the way) of "Candle in the Wind," but he's still a great artist.

("Goodbye Norma Jean SWAT. Though I never SWAT knew you at all, you had the grace SWAT to hold yourself SWAT...")

Best part of the night? During the second to last refrain of their last song, they both went off mic and let the crowd sing. It was truly magical listening to a full Wrigley crowd croon, "Sing us a song, you're the Piano Man..." I didn't get it on video, but this guy did. Visit 5:30 for the a capella extravaganza...and 3:49 for some mad Elton skillz.








No comments: