Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I Never...

There's a game we used to play in college called "I Never." Now that I'm a Mom, however, the phrase "I Never" has taken on a slightly different connotation.

I Never...realized how noisy baby laundry is in the dryer.
I Never...expected my baby to feel heavy at three months of age.
I Never...thought I'd have to get my wedding rings resized.
I Never...knew how excited I would get about poop. Baby poop, that is.
I Never...EVER thought I'd spend as much time as I do on the couch...nursing.
I Never...really thought that I would love my child as much as other people say they love theirs.
I Never...prepared myself for how my child would affect my marriage.
I Never...anticipated the need to purchase an entirely new shoe wardrobe.
I Never...thought I'd be able to operate on small amounts of interrupted sleep.
I Never...knew how very expressive infants can be, both facially and vocally.
I Never...expected a smile from my son to send me reeling away from the brink of "I can't handle it."
I Never...stared at other people's strollers in the Starbucks like I have in the last 12 months.
I Never...thought my little body could be responsible for large amounts of flatulence.
I Never...expected to be living in THIS house with a child.
I Never...knew the phrase, "It's never too early to start reading," was actually true.
I Never...expected that music would take a (very distant) back seat in my life.
I Never...appreciated my mother the way I do now. (Well, Mom, you knew that was coming. :o) )

I am thankful to have this knowledge, and I wouldn't trade it.

1 comment:

sjh said...

I have always known you would be a wonderful wife and mother.
I have always believed you would love your baby and all that came with him, whether it be smiles or poop.
I have always loved you. Unconditionally.
There's no turning back, but there's always more to discover.
I am thankful for you.
mama