Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Lions, Tigers and Bears...oh my!


As my friend, "Auntie G," put it, "When it's 70 degrees in Chicago on November 3rd, you go outdoors."

And so we did! We took the boys to the Lincoln Park Zoo on Monday, primarily as an activity for mommies; not because we thought they'd actually be able to appreciate the animals. The LP Zoo is an amazing thing, really. If you face one direction, you see the downtown skyline. If you turn around 180 degrees, you see a giraffe. We also saw hippos, rhinos, bears, cats, and even spiders and cockroaches (ick). But my favorite moment of the day came in the primate house. There was a particular breed of monkeys (nope, can't remember which kind) enclosed in a glass cage that were showing off for us. They chased each other around, they played on the rope swing, and--most amusingly--rebounded off the glass right before our eyes. I took Munchkin out of the stroller with the hope that he could perhaps see the furry guys that were so close to us. I like to think he could. :o)

Oh, and the best thing about LPZ? It's free!


(There is a white-lipped deer in the background.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there when the male lion decided to declare himself the king of the, well, zoo. He stood very high atop a large rock in the middle of the park, let out a noise, and I don't say roar, that stood somewhere between a mooo-an and a grrr-unt. What he was trying to tell us, we may never know or frankly care, but for about twenty minutes everyone was silent and just listened to him speak.

HHRose said...

Oh my gosh...who is anon? I was telling that very story to Auntie G when we were at the zoo! Of course, this could be two separate incidences, but that sounds oddly familiar!

Anonymous said...

It was a glorious day at the zoo, and one of the very best days of my maternity leave so far. Huey is still talking about it...*hee*

Anonymous said...

It is Auntie A. I think the lion was just hungry, he looked skinny. I want to know his secret :-)

sjh said...

How is it that I've had kids in Chicago since 1997 and I haven't been there, except in the movies, which was probably, or most assuredly, a phony Lincoln Park Zoo. Next spring. For sure, Munchie.

sjh said...

...and by the way, Huey's cheeks are growing faster than the Rose lad's.
Get going, Munchkin.

Anonymous said...

Gibbons! Those monkeys are gibbons and they are my favorite part about the LPZ.
Once one of them let go of the rope and slammed right into the glass, and everyone screamed, and the gibbon just sat there looking at us with his finger in his mouth. I am positive he did this to entertain himself.