Friday, January 9, 2009

Field Trip: School!

I took Munchkin to school yesterday.

Traditionally in my elementary school, the Holiday music program takes place on the last day of school before Winter Break. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), that day happened to be a snow day this year, so they rescheduled the concert for yesterday morning.

I felt compelled to go for several reasons:
1. I miss my colleagues desperately. I used to eat lunch with the same group each day and I crave that adult interaction every day around 11:40AM.
2. I don't have much grade-level carryover at that school because I only taught 1st grade and half of the Kindergartners, but I wanted to check on those now-2nd graders to see how they were doing.
3. I wanted to spy on my sub.

I wasn't expecting to feel nostalgic over seeing my former students, but I was. Munchkin (in the Bjorn) and I sat in the very back of the gym and watched the kids parade down the aisle and up onto the risers. I realized that I still remembered ALL of their names (125 of them), that they had grown SO much taller, and that I actually missed the little buggers. The new hairdo threw everyone off, so many of them didn't catch my eye and/or didn't recognize me, but it was so fun to be there to support them with their new music teacher.

Of course, my entire staff was charmed by my little boy. He didn't make a peep during the performance and was his typical flirtatious self with all the ladies. We stayed through lunch and made our way back home to our cozy house.

Though I miss my friends, occasionally miss my students, and very occasionally miss the art of teaching a class, I'm happy at home. But with this face, who wouldn't be?


Yeah she does.



1 comment:

sjh said...

I'm glad you went, and I could feel your every emotion. Today I'm going to have coffee with two of my former St. Linus students. It never changes, this missing those kids.

Time will pass and you will have new opportunity for more of that world, in some way or another. For now, enjoy the small classroom of home. It's worth everything you gave up.

Hugs from your mama.