Thursday, January 1, 2009

December 31, 2008: Part I

Dear Munchkin,
One year ago today, your dad and I found out that we were expecting you.

I had taken a pregnancy test three weeks prior that delivered a negative result. Two weeks after that, we traveled to Arizona to visit your grandparents down there, and I shared my concerns with your Grammie that I hadn't gotten pregnant yet, even though your dad and I had been "trying" for a few months (well, okay, not trying very hard...but not NOT trying either). We had invited your Mimi and Papa and Auntie/Uncle A to spend New Year's Eve with us and a few friends, so they had spent the previous night with us. In the morning, I was about to step into the shower when I just had a feeling that I should take another pregnancy test. Perhaps it was because I knew I'd be drinking champagne and eating soft cheese later that evening, and wanted to just be sure it was okay. So I took a test and it came out positive!

I have never shown more restraint in my life than after taking getting those test results. I took my shower, put on makeup and blowdried my hair--and THEN I told your dad. It was tricky because we had house guests, and I didn't want to blab the news to everyone right away. So I pulled him into the bathroom and showed him the test. I said, "Do you see what that says?" He replied, "Another negative test?" (Whoops, I had turned it upside-down.) "Um, no, it's positive." We were cautiously excited, knowing that these tests can often give the wrong results. So I took another and it was positive, too. But those tests were the same brand and I was bound and determined not to get excited until I was SURE. So I made up some ridiculous story to my parents about needing to go to the bank, ran out to the Walgreen's and bought another brand, took it at home and it was positive again! Your dad and I cried tears of joy (and fear, I'm sure) and quietly celebrated in our bathroom.

(Prior to all this excitement, your dad and Papa had been discussing putting up some shelves in the closets to make some more space. This will be relevant in a minute.)

We decided to tell our parents the good news that day and the next. So we gathered Mimi and Papa in the living room and I said, "I guess it would probably be a good idea to start reorganizing the closet in the second bedroom...to make room for baby clothes." It took them completely by surprise, and they were thrilled for us. Later that evening when your Aunt and Uncle showed up for the party, we were exchanging Christmas gifts and told your Auntie that we had one more gift for her. "What is it?" "Well, we're wondering if you're ready to become an Aunt?" Her face and reaction were priceless and will take years for me to forget. She was laughing and crying and hugging us like crazy.

Then came the torture because, as I mentioned, we had planned a party for the evening with some of our closest friends--whom we did not tell our news, given the early stages of the pregnancy. So we partied and karaoke-ed and Wii-ed and toasted the New Year while thrilling ourselves with our little secret.

The next day, both your dad and I were in shock. I hadn't slept well from the anxiety of such a monumental change in my life, and in anticipation of the changes in my body. We decided to take ANOTHER pregnancy test, "to make sure it was sticking," which--of course--makes no sense. Of course, it was positive. We then shared the news with your Grandma and Grand-Dede, Uncle Scott, and AuntieOmi and Uncle Ethan.

And you know the rest of the story.

One year later, I can't believe how the time has flown and how our lives have changed to welcome you. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear SIR,

When I heard the news that you were a "positive", I was overwhelmed with excitement. I couldn't believe that the person who I've grown up alongside of was now going to be a mommy. I was indeed crying and laughing and hugging your parents (but careful of mommy's belly, for some reason), and I just kept wondering if it was really true.

Well, true it was. And now here you are. I am so thrilled that I get to spend the rest of my life loving you and watching over you as if you were my own.

Love,
Auntie A