Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Calling All Interior Decorators*

(*My sister would probably appreciate it if I clarified that an "interior decorator" is NOT the same as an "interior designer," which is what she is...or at least what she has a degree in. Whatever.)

So we're getting ready to put the house on the market--again. The last time we did this, it was on for one solid year. We had approximately 50-70 showings in that year, and only ONE person returned for a second showing. We were extended no offers and THUS, we still live here. Since the last time the house was on the market, we have made several improvements, including having the interior painted and adding built-in storage in the garage (this is a big deal because there is no official storage anywhere in the home itself).

I feel fairly confident about the appearance of the home, in terms of decorations (you know what I mean), except for one place: these silly shelves in my living room. Usually, there are six photos from our wedding that grace the shelves, but the first rule of showing your home is to remove personal photos so as not to distract the buyer, allegedly.

After removing said photos, I'm now left with two empty shelves that need a bit of flair, and I SUCK at stuff like this. So please help me! The more specific you are (providing links to items found online/Target/etc.), the better. And it probably goes without saying that I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Photos:

(The "stuff" on the shelves are just a few things I had sitting in a box. It's to provide a bit of scale.)


(The burp cloths on the arm of the couch are part of the atmosphere--just kidding.)

Please leave your thoughts/ideas/inspirations in the comments below. TIA!

2 comments:

ahope said...

Thanks for clarifying. Busting my butt for 4 years deserves the distinction between that and "HGTV" (although I know you love that channel!) I will be over Saturday to assess the situation.

XOXO -

The best designer money CAN'T buy!

sjh said...

I vote for candles. Odd numbers. I'll be over Monday to assess the designer's assessment of the situation.

love those daughters...
ma